Friday 4 July 2008

The lottie

Went to see the plot today, and it's not bad. Bit smaller than I remember, but that might be beacuse I was much smaller when dad had one, so everything looked bigger lol. It's in the corner of the sire, with scope to 'acquire' a little extra land, and overhung by a couple of trees, that hopefully won't be a problem causing too much shade. They'd strimmed it back already, but it looks like there's plenty of bindweed waiting to re-grow. I'm not intending to do much this year but plan beds, so fingers crossed it won't be too much of a problem.

We went to have a look at the other plot I was offered, but it didn't have the same feel to it, even though it was a little bit bigger, so I think I made the right choice. The shed on it definately needs to come down. It's a mess! Not to mention full of junk and falling apart. I did find a metal tank type thing in the undergrowth that I will use for collecting water, and mums old shed will go nicely under the trees.

I should be able to work in sorting the beds out while I'm waiting for them to remove the shed. Paul told me today the wife of a chap he works with keeps horses, so mulching won't be a problem. Might stink the car out a bit bringing it home mind lol. Time to get building a compost bin or two now (along with finishing the chiken house!).

Still excited :-)


2 comments:

Salena said...

Well done it getting your plot. I thought my space was small but when the weeds start coming it seems huge! Part of my plot is in the shade and my potatoes seem to be growing fine there. I am also going to experiment with putting mushrooms in the really shaded part. I will keep coming back to see how you get on, good luck :)

One tip: Never me disheartened if it gets over grown and you have had to neglect it for some reason. You will be amazed at what keeps growing and even more amazed at what you can get done in one day :)

Compostwoman said...

Well done on getting your allotment!
There is an award awaiting you on my blog, right click and copy the picture and put it up on yours! Then ( if you want to) find 7 other blogs to pass it on to.

Enjoy!