Friday 30 May 2008

How does your garden grow?

Pretty well, even if I say so myself. It's been a while since I updated, so thought I'd better get around to it.

Most things are growing well. The marrow, squash, pumpkin, courgette, tomatoes, peas, runner beans and broad beans have all got big enough to plant out - and have survived one (very wet) night so far. The cucmbers haven't fared so well and keep being eaten, but the chiclpeas are growing great, and the mung beans, aduki beans, black eye beans and black turtle beans are all coming along. Not sure how they will turn out as it was a bit of an experiment to see if they would grow! The rhubarb leaf is re-growing after being completely eaten - so I now have 3 crowns, as the 2 replacements I bought are doing well (got wise, didn't plant them straight away). Good job I like rhubarb!

I managed to clear a space for the greenhouse and chicken run. Mended the legs on the greenhouse with some plastic pipe, but was away the weekend (ran a marathon in Edinburgh), came home monday to find it had fallen down and all the repairs were broken, so now have to find something stronger.

Haven't had much of a chance to do anything a bout the chicken house as the weather has been naff this week. Can you tell it's half term? But I did manage to get out and pick enough elder flowers to make some cordial. The bush round the corner is bigger than I thought, as is the one down the road a bit, and I've found 2 more. There's a big tree in town, but it's at the junction of some very busy roads, so I'm not sure about the pokkution aspect. Hubby says to just wash them, but I'm not sure how far in things impregnante the surface, if you follow me. Don't want to pick too many of the flowers though as I want the berries for cordial and wine later in the year, and I'm not sure there's enough flowers to make wine AND get the berries. Quite impressed with the cordial though - it's not as sweet as the shop bought stuff. Went down very well with some lemonade.

No comments: