Sunday 4 May 2008

It's been a long time!

Well, it's been a long time since I last visited here - can't believe HOW long! Time to bring things up to date I think.

We had a veg box delivery for a while, but have had to stop that as Paul was off sick for 5 months and money was very tight. Instead of running up the arrears I thought it best to cancel. Same with the milkman, so we're back to plastic bottles. I have been trying to do my best by eating organically and being careful with what I buy though.

One fantastic purchase was a Mooncup (for those monthly women things). Nothing goes in the waste, it's easy to use and far better for your body than disposable products. I am contemplating buying one for my sister for her birthday.

Had an idea opportunity the other day to reallythink about the way we live. With Paul being off sick for so long, and just having another 3 weeks (goes back tomorrow), Money is very tight and we ran out of gas and electric. It was lovely not having any television or computer for the evening. nice and quiet and I read a book by candle light. Paul was doing his nut after going cold turkey with no television. It's sad that someone has lost the ability to think for themselves, and to amuse themselves, in the absence of outside stimulation.

Come the enxt day and everything is back to normal. The tv goes on and he puts his head in the laptop at the same time. He calls the kids down from where they are playing together and using their imaginations, to plonk them in front of the dvd he's just put on for them (and then gets annoyed if they're not interested). He buys all sorts of heavily packed rubbish from Tesco (another addiction), rather than pay a little more for less, but the essentials, from the farmers market. The money ran out the same day as pay day, so he doesn't have much choice but to eat completely home made food. If he can buy it rather than make it he will - it's quicker.

It's renewed my commitment to greening up the home though. I will turn the computer off a bit more, turn the heating down a bit, and use the washing line a lot more (now we've finally put a new one up). I've been making bread for the freezer and deliberatley made extra dinner yesterday to freeze some. We'll be eating a lot more pulses, past and rice, and 'boring' food.

I've planted a few seeds too, and will give the allotment people a call during the week to see how I'm doing on the waiting list. The little patch in the garden will have to do for now. I've also been foraging and have a freezer full of nettle soup to keep me going. Following on from the Mooncup theme, I'm contemplating making some wee wipes. Little cloths to replace toilet roll, that go in with the normal washing. To help with the hygiene/smell issue I will rinse them through before putting them in with the laundry. Will help stop as much loo roll going down the toilet, as well as saving a bit of money.

Right - off to find something yummy for dinner out of the depths of the cupboard. The mixed bean casserole thing Idid yesterday turned out wuite tasty - much better than I was expecting!

No comments: